Thursday, May 17, 2007

I've always said that while I understand the motivations behind ethanol, it's a very un-perfect solution. There are many drawbacks, which I would document if I had time. Luckily Sen. Grassley reminds us of one of them:

From Bleeding Heartland:
It's easy to forget Chuck Grassley was ever known as Tweedle Dumber, but I remembered when I saw this piece in the Des Moines Register:

Grassley: Ethanol plants should use coal

Responding to worries that the ethanol boom will drive up the price of natural gas used to power the ethanol plants, Grassley had a brilliant idea:

“We’ve got to use things that we have in greater supply. We need to use more coal in place of natural gas,” Grassley said Tuesday.

Noneed4thneed comments that using coal to produce ethanol negates any environmental benefit from the renewable fuel. If you're not reducing greenhouse gases, then the only benefit of ethanol is that it helps Iowa farmers. He wonders, "Why limit the benefits?"

No comments: