Wednesday, April 25, 2007

From Desmoinesregister.com forums

AvgDude:
"In other words, if you spend your youth working hard and getting good grades; grow up to earn a good living by the sweat of your brow; always pay your debts and taxes; live within the law; and generously contribute to your community at large, then you are of equal worth to somebody who spent their youth goofing off and flunking out of school; doing drugs; who grew up to be a welfare case off the sweat of other people's brow; always a deadbeat; with a criminal record; and never spent a moment thinking about anyone but themselves.

This is why I can't stand the democratic party. They are basically half-assed communists, who punish good habits and integrity and reward stupidity and evil."


To address your points:
I spent my youth working hard, got excellent grades, pay my debts and taxes, I live within the law, and participate in my community.

I did not:
Goof off and flunk out of school, do drugs, be a welfare case, be a deadbeat, get a criminal record, or think only of myself.

I still believe that our constitution is right. That all men are equal, and that they should be given a fair chance to live a good life. The key word here is 'fair'...the biggest issue that I have with republicans in general is that they feel that if they can rig the game to work in their benefit, then screw everyone else that didn't rig the game. I was lucky to grow up in a middle class household, have good parents, and make the right decisions. When companies take away benefits for their employees, lower wages, and harm the environment, they are going to harm the people who least can afford it.

For example; Say I grew up on the East side of Des Moines, my dad worked at a factory every day of his life. My mother worked at a retail job and barely made enough to take home more than daycare cost for my younger sibling.

The factory, after giving it's CEO a couple million dollar bonus for achieving appropriate profit margins, finds out that it has to cut employee benefits to keep making these profits. For my father, this translates into a $100 extra that is withdrawn from his paychecks every month.

That $100 is enough to stress both my parents out, my mom ends up working overtime so doesn't have time to give me or my sibling the attention we need to become good citizens, my family is now in a constant state of crisis because we can't meet the bills that govern our life. Connect the dots and you'll see why I end up with an on average lower education level, lower respect for authority, and am more likely to drink or get myself in trouble with the law.




Now throw in a car accident or the father getting hurt at work...you might start to understand why people end up the way they do...they didn't have the LUXURY that you and I did.

So to get to the end of my point, the reason I don't JUDGE people (humans shouldn't judge, only the almighty), is because I had the luxury and luck to be raised the way I was. The humble thing to do is to share that luxury with people who are less fortunate than myself rather than rig the system so that I and my future generations will be able to have easier and richer lives. Share the wealth man!

No comments: